Kayville was named after Billie McKay and was founded in 1905 by Romanian immigrants who built Kayville around the mainstreet with homesteads in the outskirts. The St Peter and Paul Church (pictured above) was built by the Romanian townspeople and is an Orthodox church that is over 100 years old today. Its layout is shaped like a boat to represent Noah’s ark. Mainstreet was very busy and had over 30 businesses, all of which had been abandoned by 2009, though recently a few have reopened. The population of Kayville today is 9 people.