Before the town, the land of Murrurundi was lived on by the indigenous Wanaruah and Kamilaroi peoples, who lived closely together in a community. The name ‘Murrurundi’ comes from the Wanaruah name Murrumdoorandi. The first colonial home was built in Murrurundi in 1829, and after colonization of the area, the Indigenous peoples soon left. The town of Murrurundi was established in 1840 and began making money off wool, its railroad, and shale mining. Today, Murrurundi has around 800 residents.
31 45’S 150 50’E