Gyékényes is a Hungarian town which lies right on the border between Hungary and Croatia. The area on which Gyékényes stands has been evidenced to be inhabited since Roman times. Gyékényes is first mentioned in 1380 CE, in which it was property that rotated between many families. In 1600, it was occupied by the Ottomans during the Siege of Nagykanizsa. The town wouldn’t be taken back until 1677 and today it has about 1000 citizens. The exact reason for the amount of abandoned buildings is unknown. The majority of buildings in Gyékényes are in style of Baroque or Neo-Baroque, with a more rural and simplistic appearance than typical Baroque buildings, as are many Baroque buildings in Hungary.
The exact time of Kopice’s establishment is unknown, though it’s existed as far back as the 13th century. It’s name is thought to come from, kopiec, the Polish word for ‘mound’. It was one of many German-Polish villages, though for a time during the First Silesian War in 1742 to Prussia. It is best known for its abandoned Gothic castle. Kopice Castle was owned by many families over the years, though the last to have it was the German family, Schaffgotsch. It belonged to this family until 1945 when it was abandoned during the war and began to be looted. Later in 1958, it was burned, though it survived intact. Today, there are around 1,000 residents living in Kopice.