el ganeden d'esmareldas

the garden of emeralds

Accord, New York, US

Leave a comment

Accord was originally named Port Jackson when it was founded and it is believed it was changed at the residents’ requests. Most of Accord’s residents are farmers and truckers. Accord has only over 500 residents today.

 

Broadway, Virginia, US

Leave a comment

Broadway, Virginia lies in Shenandoah Valley near the Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains, and has been booming since the 1850s, though it wasn’t formally incorporated until 1880. It was originally known as ‘Custer’s Mill’ and was successful as the railway ran through it and it was very fertile, being known as the ‘breadbasket’ of the Confederacy during the American Civil War. This being said, much of Broadway was destroyed in the war by a campaign by Union General Philip Sheridan called ‘The Burning’. Among buildings destroyed was the eponymous Custer’s Mill, and because of it’s destruction, the town was renamed Broadway. Broadway gained most of its population during  the 1940s from the poultry industry and after World War II. Despite the many abandoned buildings around town, Broadway is actually growing greatly, and today has a population of about 3,800 residents.

Kayville, Saskatchewan, Canada

Leave a comment

Kayville was named after Billie McKay and was founded in 1905 by Romanian immigrants who built Kayville around the mainstreet with homesteads in the outskirts. The St Peter and Paul Church (pictured above) was built by the Romanian townspeople and is an Orthodox church that is over 100 years old today. Its layout is shaped like a boat to represent Noah’s ark. Mainstreet was very busy and had over 30 businesses, all of which had been abandoned by 2009, though recently a few have reopened. The population of Kayville today is 9 people.

kayville-1

Men in Kayville, 1913

49.7266N 105.1453W

Historical img src

Bateman, Saskatchewan, Canada

Leave a comment

bateman-saskatchewan

The United Church of Bateman (Gothic Revival) next to an old home.

Bateman was founded in 1908 when settled by Jim Bateman and his family. By the 1920s, Bateman had a population of 300. The last resident left in 2000 and many buildings were demolished. The United Church (pictured) is still sometimes used for funerals and weddings.

hbateman.png

Bateman from an aerial view, 1950s. Bateman’s United Church can be seen next to the large white and grey barn, next to a small street lane. Next to it is the house pictured.

49.69135N 107.85405W

Historical image src

Cartago, California

Leave a comment

Cartago is the Spanish name for Carthage, which it was once named, though Carthage is now the name of a nearby town. It was also once known as Daniersburg and Lakeville, and is often considered part of modern day Olancha, as is nearby Grant.

In 1863, a mill was constructed on what is today Olancha, when a man came in search of silver. In December 1863, Olancha had a sawmill and blacksmith, however, the mill was burned by the indigenous people already living there in 1867. When nearby Cerro Gordo began attracting travellers, Olancha became a stop to it. later, steamboats were made to cross the Owens Lake, and Olancha became a port along it, and Cartago was born as a port for the shipment of wood and ore as well. Olancha is most famous for being where Manson family members lived for a small period of time. Cartago is rarely referred to as a separate town and is almost always considered part of Olancha.

olancha7

Olancha, 1940

36 19′15″N 118 01′35″W