Crossakiel, in County Meath, is often considered a part of nearby Kells (Irish: Ceanannas). Kells, is famously known for being the namesake of the illuminated manuscript, The Book of Kells. Though it’s unknown exactly when Crossakiel was established, Kells has been a town since as early as the 12th century. During English invasion in the Middle Ages, Kells was a border town on the English Pale, and later during the Irish Potato Famine around the 1840s, it lost almost 40% of its population.
The Cosy Corner (pictured above) in Crossakiel used to be a pub and a grocery, but is now closed. The Crossakiel Handball Club can also be seen above. Handball is very popular in Crossakiel and has been since as early as the 1920s. The church pictured above is St Shiria’s Church, which was part of the Church of Ireland and is recorded as far back as 1761. The church is no longer in use, as it no longer has a roof or door.
The population of Crossakiel today is unknown, but the town of Kells has a population of nearly 6,000 residents. Kells is known today in media for being the setting of the Oscar-nominated film, The Secret of Kells.
Chaitén was created before European conquer and was first explored by European conquistadors in the search for the City of the Caesars, a city of legend full of gold, silver, and diamonds, somewhere in the Andes. However, Chaitén was first officially listed as a town in 1940 and served as a port.
In 2008, for the first time in over nine thousand years, the nearby Mt Chaitén volcano erupted. The city of Chaitén was evacuated while Mt Chaitén continued to erupt for months continuously. Because of the volcano, the town was also flooded due to lahars (extremely dangerous flows of mud, debris, and rocks) causing the nearby river to overflow. Currently, the town of Chaitén is being rebuilt, though there is controversy whether it should be or not because of the state it’s in. Some of the population has returned, and it currently has a population of 3,500 residents, of its original 7,000.
42 55’0″S 72 42’0″W
It’s not known when Knaptoft was established, but it’s existed as early as the 13th century, when its church was built. Its name is believed to descend from Old Scandinavian, knappr meaning the top of a hill, and toft meaning a home, though it has been recorded under plenty names, one of them being Cnapetot. Most of the residents made fabric for a living or raised livestock. It was deserted in the 17th century for unknown reasons. Its main attraction is the St Nicholas church which is believed to have been destroyed during the English Civil War by Parliamentarians and today lies in ruins. Today, only about 50 residents remain in Knaptoft.
Hamlet was founded in x when John Shortridge started a saw mill in the area. The name is said to be attributed to Shortridge naming it after the word used for a small, rural neighbourhood in England, ‘hamlet’. Hamlet soon got a railroad and railroad workers began to populate the town. Of Hamlet’s residents was John Coltrane, born there in the 20s. In 1991, a fire broke out at a chicken packaging plant, killing twenty-five people. Another famous resident of Hamlet is Ashton Locklear, part of the women’s gymnastic team at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
The exact time of Kopice’s establishment is unknown, though it’s existed as far back as the 13th century. It’s name is thought to come from, kopiec, the Polish word for ‘mound’. It was one of many German-Polish villages, though for a time during the First Silesian War in 1742 to Prussia. It is best known for its abandoned Gothic castle. Kopice Castle was owned by many families over the years, though the last to have it was the German family, Schaffgotsch. It belonged to this family until 1945 when it was abandoned during the war and began to be looted. Later in 1958, it was burned, though it survived intact. Today, there are around 1,000 residents living in Kopice.