Broadway, Virginia lies in Shenandoah Valley near the Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains, and has been booming since the 1850s, though it wasn’t formally incorporated until 1880. It was originally known as ‘Custer’s Mill’ and was successful as the railway ran through it and it was very fertile, being known as the ‘breadbasket’ of the Confederacy during the American Civil War. This being said, much of Broadway was destroyed in the war by a campaign by Union General Philip Sheridan called ‘The Burning’. Among buildings destroyed was the eponymous Custer’s Mill, and because of it’s destruction, the town was renamed Broadway. Broadway gained most of its population during the 1940s from the poultry industry and after World War II. Despite the many abandoned buildings around town, Broadway is actually growing greatly, and today has a population of about 3,800 residents.
Woolgoolga was founded in the 1870s and is named after the word Weelgoolga, which the indigenous people of the area called the area. However, its original name was ‘Woogoolga’ until it was changed in 1966. Woolgoolga has a large Sikh population that now farms most of the agriculture of Woolgoolga that is bananas and blueberries. Woolgoolga’s main landmark is its large Sikh temple, Guru Nanak Sikh Gurudwara.
Georgetown was established in 1859, during the Pike’s Peak Gold Rush. It is named after one of the founders, George Griffith. Though it never found much gold, it made good amounts of money off of silver, which caused large population growth. By 1893, Georgetown had more than 10,000 residents. After this, the town began to lose its population as silver deposits dwindled. Georgetown has been used as a filming location for many movies, and as of today, it has around 1,000 residents.
The first settlement of Alderley Edge as a village is unknown, though it is estimated the land has been lived since the Bronze Ages. Alderley Edge is first mentioned as a town in the 13th century, called ‘Chorlegh’ and later ‘Chorley’. The name Alderley is thought to come from either the words Aldred and leah, which means ‘Aldred’s clearing’ or Alðrȳðelēah meaning ‘Alðrȳð’s clearing’. In the Middle Ages all the way into the 20th century, Alderley Edge prospered mainly off agriculture, though mining was also present in the area. Alongside this, Alderley Edge was and is still today populous due to its railroad and many landmarks. Alderley Edge has a popular legend called ‘Wizard of the Edge’ in which a farmer sells his horse to a wizard and follows the wizard into a cavern through large gates, seeing many warriors sleeping with their horses. The wizard tells the farmer that, should England come to any danger, the warriors would awake and protect it. The farmer departs, and returns the next day to find the cavern and gates gone. Alderley Edge has around 4,000 residents today.